Each year East-West Gateway Council of Governments’ (EWG) develops the agency’s Unified Planning Work Program (UPWP). The UPWP describes each of EWG’s major programs and projects and the funding sources that the agency uses to support its planning initiatives.
EWG staff develops the UPWP and it is submitted to the Board of Directors, the agency’s advisory committees, and EWG’s funding agencies for review and comment. The work described in the UPWP:
- Addresses one or more of the planning factors outlined in the federal legislation that governs the metropolitan planning process, including:
- Economic vitality
- Accessibility and mobility
- Environmental protection, energy conservation, quality of life, and the transportation/land use/development linkage
- Integration and connectivity
- Management and operations
- System preservation
- Provides the underlying data for the analyses used during the planning process
- Addresses regional planning priorities, which are best expressed in the 10 Guiding Principles contained in the St. Louis region’s long-range transportation plan, Connected2045 – Update
The UPWP provides information about the funding that supports EWG’s planning initiatives. The work described in the UPWP is supported by financial grants and in-kind resources from federal, state, and local government sources, as well as private foundations and EWG surplus funding. The local cash is provided by EWG member local governments at a rate of 12.5 cents per capita annually.
The Current UPWP
The current work program is the fiscal year (FY) 2021 UPWP that covers a 12-month period that begins July 1, 2020 and ends June 30, 2021. The FY 2021 UPWP includes more than 30 work elements and a budget of more than $10.4 million. The FY 2021 UPWP was approved by EWG’s Board of Directors on April 29, 2020.
Throughout the fiscal year, the UPWP document may need to be amended to incorporate project modifications or add new projects to EWG's work program. These amendments are approved by EWG’s Board of Directors.
Looking for UPWPs from Prior Years?
EWG’s Library contains important agency documents including those from prior years. Use the link below to access the UPWPs from FY 2016 through FY 2020.