The Strategic Assessment of the St. Louis Region
Since 1992 East-West Gateway Council of Governments (EWG) has produced WWS to ignite discussion and help guide decision making. WWS covers a range of topics important to the region including demographics, the economy, and education.
Where We Stand – 7th Edition
The 7th Edition of WWS, released in July 2015, presents 222 rankings comparing St. Louis among the 50 most populous metropolitan areas in the United States. This edition includes 90 new measures on topics such as innovation, segregation, and economic opportunity.
Note: Acrobat Reader is required to view many of the files on this page.
Where We Stand Updates
Where We Stand Updates are short publications that are periodically released to update St. Louis’ standing based on new data or provide further insight on a specific topic.
- Update 5, September 2017 – Innovation and Entrepreneurship
- Update 4, June 2017 – Addressing Racial Equity for a Sustainable Future
- Update 3, June 2017 – Racial Segregation, 1970 to 2011-2015
- Update 2, April 2016 – Seniors and Aging
- Update 1, January 2016 – Demographics of Business Owners
7th Edition PDFs and Data
Complete 7th Edition (PDF)
Individual Chapters (individual PDF files for faster download)
- Chapter 1: Demographics
- Chapter 2: Land use
- Chapter 3: Housing
- Chapter 4: Transportation
- Chapter 5: Education
- Chapter 6: Income and Economic Opportunity
- Chapter 7: Economy
- Chapter 8: Health
- Chapter 9: Racial Disparity
- Chapter 10: Environment
- Chapter 11: Crime
- Chapter 12: Government
- Chapter 13: Engagement and Access
Data for the 222 Where We Stand tables in the 7th Edition. Two download options:
- All data in a single Excel Workbook (XLSX)
- All data in a ZIP file containing three Comma Separated Values (CSV) files
Event Series for the 7th Edition
In 2015 and 2016, EWG held three public events to explore topics covered by the 7th Edition of WWS. Use the links below to watch the event series videos.
Event 1 - How do Rankings Tell St. Louis’ Story?
Event 2 - Economic Growth & Racial Equity: How can St. Louis compete in the global economy?
Event 3 - St. Louis is Aging: Are we ready?
WWS Preview Blog Series
In weeks leading up to the release of the 7th Edition the EWG blog featured commentaries from people who work in various fields in the St. Louis area. The blog posts touch on a handful of the data points from the 7th Edition and provide some context to the data.
- St. Louis is on the Verge of “Freightness”
- Where St. Louis Stands on the Digital Divide
- Using Data to Prepare St. Louis for Emergencies
- Education and the Future of the St. Louis Region
- Large Senior Population in the St. Louis Region has Significant Impacts on Taxes, Economy, and Transportation
- Enhanced Transportation Options Needed for all Citizens
- Read the entire series
EWG Blog and WWS Survey Summary Report
- Visit the EWG blog to review posts about WWS topics.
- Review the WWS Survey Summary Report to review the feedback EWG received in March 2015 about how WWS can be of most use to current and potential users of the document and a description of how the responses are being incorporated into the WWS series.
Looking for Prior WWS Editions and Updates?
EWG’s Library contains important agency documents including those from prior years. Use the link below to access WWS Editions 1 through 6 and the associated WWS updates.