Congestion Mitigation and Air Quality Improvement Program
The Congestion Mitigation and Air Quality Improvement (CMAQ) Program provides a flexible funding source to State and local governments for transportation projects and
programs to help meet the requirements of the Clean Air Act. Funding is available to reduce congestion and improve air quality for areas, including the St. Louis metropolitan area, that do not meet
the National Ambient Air Quality Standards for ozone, carbon monoxide, or particulate matter (nonattainment areas) and for former nonattainment areas that are now in compliance (maintenance
CMAQ funds can be used for projects such as:
- Traffic flow improvements
- Demand management
- Shared ride services
- Bicycle and pedestrian facilities
- Transit vehicles/facilities
- Operating assistance for new transit projects
CMAQ funds cannot be used for routine maintenance such as roadway resurfacing/reconstruction and projects that add new single occupant vehicle capacity vehicles.
CMAQ funds are available to eligible Illinois and Missouri sponsors in the eight county metropolitan area. The map below shows this area.
Eligible applicants include:
- Bi-State Development/Metro
- Madison County Transit District
- Great Rivers Greenway
- Other agencies such as not-for-profit must partner with above agency
- Illinois and Missouri Projects
- Up to 80% federal funding for:
- Preliminary engineering
- Right of way acquisition
- Construction engineering
Call for Projects
CMAQ Informational Workshop
- Two Project Development Workshops were held in December 2016 These workshops clarified program requirements, application procedures, project selection criteria, and schedule.
Transportation Improvement Program
Federally funded projects must be included in the Transportation Improvement Program (TIP). The current TIP
was approved by the Board of Directors on August 31, 2016 and approved by the US Department of Transportation on September 28, 2016.
If you have questions about CMAQ, please contact Jason Lange by email at firstname.lastname@example.org
or phone at 314-421-4220 (MO) – 618-274-2750 (IL)
For additional information about the CMAQ program, the program guidance can be viewed at: