East-West Gateway Council of Governments’ (EWG) Outstanding Local Government Achievement (OLGA) Awards honor the extraordinary work of individuals, municipal and county governments/departments, special purpose districts and public educational institutions in the city of St. Louis and Franklin, Jefferson, St. Charles and St. Louis counties in Missouri and Madison, Monroe and St. Clair counties in Illinois.
- Exemplary Accomplishment by a Local Government Jurisdiction, Agency or Individual: Honors local government jurisdictions, special purpose and school districts, public agencies and individuals for unique achievements in the creation and implementation of exemplary government programs or projects and exceptional public sector contributions.
- Exemplary Intergovernmental Collaboration: Honors cooperative efforts between local government jurisdictions or agencies resulting in public benefits across jurisdictional boundaries.
- Exemplary Public/Private or Public/Non-Profit Collaboration: Honors joint ventures between local government jurisdictions or agencies and private or non-profit organizations that exemplify high impact, positive change.
- Leadership in Planning and Design Innovation: Honors forward-thinking planning and design efforts for public spaces or community development that challenges the way people think about their surroundings.
- Gateway Lifetime Public Service Award: Honors exemplary individuals who have given a lifetime of service to the public sector and achieved the highest standard and benefit for the community for more than 30 years.
Submitting a Nomination
We are looking for individuals who have provided the highest level of leadership; for projects and partnerships that raise the bar as to what is possible; for jurisdictions that provide a level of excellence, expertise and service in local government for all to emulate. It does not matter whether a jurisdiction, department or district is large or small, volunteer or professional, part-time or full-time. We challenge you to bring those who embody the best in local government forward for consideration.
2017 OLGA Awards
The nominations for the 2017 OLGA awards closed on Sept. 22, 2017. The 2017 OLGA award winners will be announced at EWG’s 52nd Annual Luncheon and Awards Ceremony on Nov. 17, 2017.
Congratulations to Our 2016 OLGA Award Winners
Exemplary Accomplishment by a Local Government Jurisdiction, Agency, or Individual
Dr. Scott Spurgeon — Riverview Gardens School District
St. Charles County — Gateway Greenlight Program
Exemplary Intergovernmental Collaboration
Kaskaskia Cahokia Trail Coalition — Monroe County, St. Clair County, Randolph County
Exemplary Public/Non-profit Collaboration
Emerald Ridge Homes — Village of East Alton, Rise, Southwestern Illinois Development Authority, Madison County Community Development
A Visual Approach to Educating the Community on Air Quality - City of Granite City, Six Mile Regional Library District, United Congregations of Metro-East, Madison County Green Schools Program, Saint Louis University Center for Environmental Science
Leadership in Planning and Design Innovation
American Bottom Levee Project — Southwestern Illinois Flood Prevention District Council, St. Louis Metro East Levee Issues Alliance
Public Media Commons — University of Missouri-St. Louis, Nine Network of Public Media, St. Louis Public Radio
Gateway Lifetime Public Service Award
- Donald Feher
- Wayne Oldroyd
Looking for OLGA Award Winners from Prior Years?
EWG’s Library contains important agency documents including those from prior years. Use the link below to access OLGA award winners from 2013 through 2015.